Bins update for May: recycling collections will be reintroduced for green and brown bins.
The Council is able to reinstate these collections because staffing levels have increased since the initial lockdown was announced, however, they are not yet at a level to allow the resuming of normal service.
Here is how the updated weekly collection cycle will work for May:
- W/C Mon 4 May – green (plastic, cans and bottles) and brown (garden and food) bin collections on your normal collection day.
- W/C Mon 11 May – grey (non-recyclable) bin collection on your normal collection day.
- W/C Mon 18 May – grey (non-recyclable) bin collection on your normal collection day.
- W/C Mon 25 May – green (plastic, cans and bottles) and brown (garden and food) bin collections on your normal collection day.
The teams will be out collecting bins on the May bank holidays (8 and 25 May).
Blue bin collections will not be reinstated at this stage.
Please share with those who may not be online.
- If you’ve somewhere you can safely store your blue bin waste, please do so and it’ll be collected when full service is resumed.
- Grey bin waste will be sent to a special recovery centre and converted to green energy – wherever possible it won’t be sent to landfill.
- Please don’t leave additional waste in bags beside your grey bin – it isn’t safe for our staff to touch and it won’t be collected.
- If you do have excess garden waste, we suggest finding an area in the garden suitable to allow it to compost naturally.
- No further requests for additional grey bins will be accepted.
- There will be no further special uplift bookings taken. Any pre-booked uplifts will be collected.
- We will still aim to collect your bin on the normal collection day.
The following services will continue to operate as normal:
- Trade waste collections
- Litter bin emptying and manual street sweeping